Salamanca Place

Salamanca Place was established as a warehouse and storage area close to the existing waterfront in the 1830's.

By the 1970's the area began to provide cheap space for artists but the dominant use was run-down storage and wholesale distribution from the sandstone warehouses built in the mid nineteenth century.

Tourism was just starting to take off with quicker and cheaper flights from Melbourne and Sydney as the Wrest Point Casino was opened in 1973.

As Salamanca Place became more gentrified and property values and rent increased, the building uses changed to incorporate more retail space and eventually the current restaurant and lifestyle precinct was established. The original sandstone has been restored on buildings where it had been rendered or painted and enhanced with trendy interiors containing bars, eateries, galleries and predominantly craft or gourmet based retail outlets.

James Markham Woobys Lane Salamanca
Market photo
market photo
market photo
Kelly’s Steps Salamanca
Salamanca
Salamanca Place, Salamanca
Mercury Building, Salamanca Place
market photo

Home Page

market photo

Grace at Salamanca

Go to link